The city mountain of Egersund. The hike up as well as the top (with telescope!) provide great views of the city, the seaside and the region. Compass roses from the 17th and 19th century. At the foot of Varberg, at the head of Øvre Prestegårdsvei road, there are petroglyphs from the Late Bronse Age (ca. 1000–500 BC), displaying two ships.
Signposted from the center, 15 min. walk.
Old wooden houses
Egersund town has one of the best preserved wooden house settlements in Norway. Large parts of the town are now designated an area of special historic interest. Many great examples of historic wooden houses can be seen in Strandgaten, which was previously the town’s main street. It became the main street after the town plan regulation of 1843 – the year a big fire swept through the town. When it was rebuilt, this area was built in a grid pattern of straight streets.
Hauen - Egersund’s old town – is also worth visiting. Although the buildings here have undoubtedly undergone many changes through the ages, the foundations date from when the area was first developed, during the period 1750-1800. Hauen grew as needs dictated, rather than being planned, and dwellings, outhouses, workshops, barns and byres were all jumbled together. At the end of the 1970s, the area was threatened by the planners’ axe, but it survived and has been rehabilitated and now features shops, cafes, art galleries etc.
Many of the historic wooden houses serve today as small specialty shops, side by side in the cozy pedestrian streets. You can stroll along 160 year old wooden buildings using the city walk brochure or use your mobile as a guide: download the app ‘Magma Geopark’ and choose a tour Strolling in Egersund (Norwegian and English).
The site of the beautiful 17th century cruciform church, which was originally known as Heidningeholmen, has always been a sacred and important place. During the Viking age the king’s Leidang ship moored here to collect taxes. The old transport routes on land and sea all led to this place. The market square, formerly known as Lahedla and Hauen, is situated in immediate proximity to the church.
The church is the town’s oldest remaining building. The present exterior is a result of an extensive building during the years 1785 – 1788. The interior, however, has been altered several times since then. One example is the building of galleries to accommodate the growing population. By the year 1888 it was Rogaland’s next largest church with its seating capacity of 1160 seats. The church is open to visitors in the summer, no admission charge. Information about church services and other arrangements are displayed on the notice board at the entrance.
Established in 1853-54, it has one of Europe’s most powerful lights. The lighthouse was built to ensure safety of the shipping traffic along the coast. It was the first cast-iron tower to be built in Norway. Therefore, it was unsure whether it was heavy enough to resist the strong wind that occurs in this area, so 70 000 stones were used to line the tower from the inside. The lighthouse is 32,9 m tall and there are 134 steps to the top of the tower.
To get to the lighthouse, follow RV502 from Egersund, turn right after Eigerøy Bridge, signposted from Segleim. From the parking lot, follow a 2 km footpath up to the lighthouse. There are 7 geo stops along the trail where you can learn more about anorthosite. The old lighthouse keeper’s house is restored and is an open cafe on Sundays, during the summer season.
Eigerøy bird-watching station was established by the lighthouse in 1991. It was initiated by Norwegian Association for Ornitology, that uses the hobby house by the lighthouse for this purpose. The station registers bird activity in Midbrødøya all year round.
Dogs are not allowed in the period 15 March - 15 October.
The largest bathing area in Eigersund municipality with more than 500 meters of sandy beaches and low dunes. There are two main family friendly beaches – Storesanden and Litlasanden. The coastline interchanges between sand, stones and small cliffs.
Beach grass and wild rye bind the low sand dunes together, that provide a protective front against powerful storm waves. The beach is an unstable and amazing landscape that is under perpetual change. After a big storm one can find the beach full of small stones, shells and seaweed, while another day it will be clean and smooth.
Being the biggest beach in the Dalane coast, Skadbergsand is frequently visited in summer as well as winter. Here you have all the possibilities to bathe, sun-bathe, look for crabs and shrimps, observe birds, kite and play outside sports.
You can get there by taking a bus no. 03 from Egersund to Eigerøy or drive to Eigerøy and follow the signs to Skadbergsanden.
Auglend / Vandringshavn recreational area
Nature reserve located on Eigerøy and a fantastic area for coast walks. Traces of fishing activities stretching back several hundred years. Possibilities for fishing, grilling and swimming. Car parking with WC facilities.
Follow the road to Eigerøya on r42, then follow the sign to the right and to the very end of the road. Buss nr.3.
Vannbassengan recreational area
A recreational area close to the town center with lots of great walking paths. Bathing spot, toilet, car park, floodlit trail and fishing lake. The area is named after the old waterworks that supplied drinking water to the inhabitants of Egersund for many years. Both the reservoirs and the open channels provide exciting variety in the forested scenery.
Sign-posted from the roundabout on the fv 44 road by Mosbekk (towards Hauge i Dalane).
Terland Klopp is located in Gyadalen valley along road 42, appr. 15 km from Egersund, 3 km from Helleland. It is a 60m long stone slab bridge from the early 19th century with 21 water runs. It is said that Terland Klopp is the longest and best preserved bridge of it’s kind in Norway.
Terland Klopp got it’s present look in 1867, but was raised in 1902-03 and was used up until 1977. After that it was restored and became protected by the Directorate of Cultural Heritage in 2008.